Monday 3 September 2012

don’t want to see but i’m making you

Have I told you where I got the name of this blog?
No?
In a nut shell peachfish is another word for vagina. I got it from Tom Robbin's novel, Still Life with Woodpecker, that I read last summer. It's a bizarre novel, I loved it for its magic and its quotable dialogues

Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is to sign on as its  accomplice. Instead of vowing to honor and obey, maybe we should swear to aid and abet. That would mean that security is out of the question. The words "make" and "stay" become inappropriate. My love for you has no strings attached. I love you for free.
We're our own dragons as well as our own heroes, and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.
I was so mesmerised on how peachfish came about, I thought of it like a code where those who've read the book are the only ones who know. Anyways, I do tend to get a little carried away and so I thought it would be perfect to name my blog peachfish! it's catchy, contradictory blah blah blaaarhhhh...

And huaaat!

Our reproductive bits go by so many names! I am glad because vagina and penis does not really catch people's imagination, they sound cold and scientific. Besides, say vagina or penis out loud and you'll get shushed for saying a "baaaaad word". Adding to that, these words don't cover all the reproductive bits, they are like catch phrases of what "the most important parts are". They do not cover the whole region of the vulva nor the rest of the male genitalia.

So people invented other names to call our mess down there. For women- pussy, cunt, pek-pek, fanny and for men there's cock, dick, itlog (eggs), nuts. These words usually end up in sexist, demeaning jokes and/ or insults that often harm people. What many of us do not know are the socio-historical background of words like cunt that scholars and academics have been studying for years.

I think naming our own genitalia is one way of reclaiming our bodies, recognizing and making it part of us. This, instead of calling them what society says we should. So go ahead name yours *wink*.

Hopefully by  doing this we will have more of this  and less of that :-(

So that was it!

Don't hate on the fact that I named this blog on lady bits. It's just a blog name, get over it.

People have bodies, there are so many topics like this and dis that just gives me kilabot/ goose bumps.

On the positive side, thank goodness for Amanda Palmer and the people in this video, two versions- both dancy, so enjoy!






O my gulay.




No comments:

Post a Comment