Monday 8 July 2013

"Barya lang po sa umaga"

Hello Ma'am- Sir!

-That's how sales people greet costumers here in the Philippines.
But for the first time I am on my own- well not technically I have family I can call on to. I mean I am on my own in the Philippines after ten years and I am learning a number of things. Crossing the highway -even with the handy stop light was not easy- cars, motorcycles, trucks and jeeps are coming from different directions  honks, smoke and dust was overwhelming. This is not new, however Davao is much bigger than the small cities I grew up in, in fact it is the largest city -area wise in the Philippines.

So this past Saturday I learned how to take a motorcycle to the Abreeza mall where my friend and I was able to listen to Parokya ni Edgar live! It was cool. It's interesting, Parokya has existed for over a generation and they're still very relevant today, they're funny and their songs are still "na kaka kilig"- AS IN!

Anyways after that, we're still pretty buzzed and up for more (probably also a result of our sweet dinner- Chowking halo halo and Mister donut)
It was after the mall closed that we ended up walking to this "compound" in Davao that is occupied with bars and dance clubs. We went in to see a drag show. The stage was bright and poppy the same as the performers. Five ladies took the stage, each with a different personality and "unique looks". They sang and danced but most of the time talked and persuaded foreigner audience to cough up some cash. It was hilarious and they made it funny, embarrassing and awkward for them. The night was like a dream, young people in gowns and formal started to arrive walking past us- I guess the place is a hit if people go there for an afterparty. Anyways, glitter, eyelashes and even wigs started coming off. Hilarious.

It also happens that down the road to where I'm staying for the meantime is the alleged Davao city house of the famous Manny Pacquiao- do you see that disco ball hanging? So that was exciting for a second. It s not really occupied.

And it never fails to amaze me, when I pass a fruit bearing tree on the sidewalk. A banana heart dips within your reach and pineapples with all its regal leaf opens up to reveal the ripening fruit- all this by the sidewalk.



One last exciting part - as of now, is the view behind the clubhouse- its amazing you can see the mountain and a number of communities below~~I wish I have a better camera with me!

So this is it for now, reader. I will leave you with one of Parokya's song. There will be more post to follow, kita-kita ta next time, babai


No comments:

Post a Comment